Friday 24 February 2012

Cookies and a Wish for Warmth

It's getting colder and colder in Canada, and I'm wishing and wishing for summer to come. Oh how I long for the days where the sun sets at nine in the evening, and the light that fills my room is golden! Ahh, those days are my favourite. But I digress - today's post will be on something simple, whimsy, and absolutely delicious. Cookies.

Do you have a favourite cookie? I love shortbread cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and those buttery Hong Kong style cookies. That said, I'm very picky about each one. My shortbread cookies must never be too sweet or too hard - I love the ones that are buttery and crumble into a sandy texture in my mouth. I refuse to eat chocolate chip cookies that are not chewy or warm, and I turn my nose at Hong Kong style cookies that are chocolate flavoured. For some odd reason, those never taste right - perhaps it is because I'm picky about chocolate too...

Anyway, I would like to share with you a cookie recipe given to me by one of my closest friends. I first tasted her cookies about a year ago and I was absolutely hooked. I'm not quite sure which category this cookie fits into, but I suppose with its buttery and crumbly texture, and the list of ingredients, it is a type of shortbread cookie..The picture below are a batch of the cookies given to me a week ago by my friend...They disappeared two days later. ;)


Recipe

Ingredients 
100 grams of butter
25 grams of icing sugar
75 grams of low gluten flour (All purpose flour works fine too!)
25 grams of cornstarch

Materials
Pastry bag 
Pastry tip
Parchment paper
Baking sheet

Instructions
1. Soften the butter using either a microwave or letting the butter sit out in room temperature. 

2. Combine softened butter with the icing sugar using an electric whisk or by hand. 

3. Sift cornstarch and flour together before combining it with the icing sugar and butter mixture. 

4. Once the mixture has been combined thoroughly, place the batter into the pastry bag fitted with a flowered pastry tip. Pipe out circles onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. 

5. Place the piped out cookies into the oven at 350°F (180°C) for twelve minutes or until golden brown. 

6. Once cookies are ready, take them out of the oven and let them rest for at least eight minutes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment